Sunday, February 2, 2014

Book List: January 2014

1. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
2. The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain

I've got quite an impressive backlog of books, so I thought I'd try and get some reading done this year. I'd hoped to make better progress in January, but I do most of my reading at work and my schedule was *really* weird for about three weeks, so that didn't happen.

Both of January's selections came from a hardbound collection of Mark Twain novels that you can get at Barnes & Noble for twenty bucks. (I've also got the Ray Bradbury and Neil Gaiman collections, and there's at least three others I'd love to have.)

I probably haven't read Tom Sawyer since junior high (same for Huck Finn, which I'm currently reading.) It was a really fun book, although it mostly reads like a collection of very short stories that uses recurring characters. Finn is a more complete book, but Sawyer is still enjoyable.

While I knew the basics of the story, I had actually never read The Prince and the Pauper. This one had more trouble holding my interest (I finished Sawyer in three days; this one took me a few weeks) but it had its moments. It definitely picked up once the narrative started following Edward more.

No comments:

Post a Comment