Wednesday, February 12, 2014

I did the thing!

Not much of the thing, but I did it. Made about a page before I started spinning my wheels, and then just kinda sputtered out. Still, it's progress. Total word count: 392.

Today's work went toward the second "scene" of Punchline's introduction--I wrote the first part several years ago, for either the first or second attempt at Nano-vember (which I completed in 2007, but only managed about 13 stories in 2008.)

For the uninitiated, Punchline is a supervillain who specializes in two things: boxing glove guns and bad jokes. He's a very Silver Age character--not so much "threat to world stability" as "high-profile pain in the ass." Here's a snippet, to show you what we're dealing with (not much joking in this bit...but trust me, the first scene is more than enough on that front.)



Out of the corner of his eye, Punchline saw a security guard reaching for his holster. He whirled around the bank manager, aimed his pistol, and fired three times.

The bullets whizzed across the room. Along the way, the casings fell away, leaving only a tiny red blob. The blobs expanded in the blink of an eye, eventually forming into the shape of boxing gloves. The first two collided with the guard's chest; the last caught him in the face, knocking him unconscious.

Punchline twirled the pistol around his finger like a Wild West gunfighter. "And no more funny business," he said with a smile. "That's my job."


1 comment:

  1. I almost expected to see a POW! or BLAM! in the narration there. The boxing-glove bullet is a fun weapon. I appreciate that he's not out to raze the world, which lends your idea a cool sense of alternate reality (as if the bullets didn't already).

    ReplyDelete