Tuesday, November 19, 2013

15: Continue?

"GAME OVER," the arcade cabinet blared. Within seconds, the countdown appeared on the screen. "TEN. *beep*"

Instintively, I reached into my pocket for another quarter. I didn't put it in the slot right away, though.

"NINE. *beep*"

It had to be getting late. I wasn't sure--arcades generally don't have much in the way of clocks or windows--but I knew I'd been at this machine for a long time.

"EIGHT. *beep*"

I took a quick look at my phone, to check the time. I'd pretty much killed the afternoon, but supper wouldn't be for a few more hours. I had some time.

"SEVEN. *beep*"

I took a quick look around, to see what else was open. Most of the best games had small crowds around them; I'd be in for a wait if I wanted to switch.

"SIX. *beep*"

I gave up on that option, and turned back toward the current machine. My score was not reassuring--I was nowhere near the top of the rankings. Still, I'd spent enough time on it today; I figured I might as well see it through.

"FIVE. *beep*"

"FOUR. *beep*"

"THREE. *beep*"

I bent down to the coin slot, ready to buy back in...and then I realized something very important.

"TWO. *beep*"

"I don't even like this game," I said to myself, and dropped the quarter back into my pocket.

"ONE. *beep*"

I walked away from the cabinet, not even bothering to put in my initials.

"ZERO. *beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee--"

No comments:

Post a Comment