Saturday, November 30, 2013

30: Against Fear

The battle lasted for almost a full year...but at long last, it is over.

I fought through its minions, who sprang up as fast as I cut them down. I made my way through the spectral maze, ignoring the apparitions that attempted to thwart my progress.  I even managed to solve the Three Riddles, which have confounded the wisest of men since the dawn of time.

At long last, I faced the dragon...and a more dangerous and cunning foe I have never known. The flesh-ripping talons and fire breath were equaled in power by its words. The honey-sweet lies...and the bone-chilling truths. Terror clutched my heart, but I was not overcome. Surrender meant death. To survive, I must fight.

Finally, I struck the killing blow. It let out an ear-splitting scream as it crashed to the ground. Once its death throes had finished, I removed my sword from its head.

In an instant, the body began to dissolve. The skin, bones, and meat burst into flame, while the blood oozed out onto the ground. The stench was incredible, but I did not leave...I dared not, until I was sure the battle was over.

Once the dragon had burned away, I could not believe what remained: a large egg, which was already cracking open. Inside was a dragon infant, which looked exactly like the beast I had slain.

"This is not over," it hissed at me. "We will have this fight again."

"Maybe," I said, as I turned to walk away. "But next time, you won't be as big."

No comments:

Post a Comment